Who Needs Home Care?
- An estimated 36 million Americans - 12.4% of the population - are 65 years and older.
- By 2030, nearly 20% of the population will be 65 years and older.
- The 65+ American population, which was more than 36 million people in 2005, is projected to nearly double to more than 71 million people by 2030.
- Nearly 40% of American women and about 20% of American men 65 years and older were living alone in 2003.
- In 2003, more than 1.8 million seniors age 65 years and older were treated in emergency departments for fall-related injuries and more than 421,000 were hospitalized.
Source: U.S. Census Bureau
Centers for Disease Control, 2005